January: the month of menswear.
Hello everyone, this week I am back with another post purely about fashion.
January is the month of menswear, at least when it comes to all of the Fashion Weeks from Milan to New York City. So, I thought it would only be appropriate to write a little re-cap on this month full of menswear fashion and add some thoughts of mine, pointing out my fashion favourites and my fashion flops.
After seeing the creations of some of the most influential designers in the world, there is one thing everyone notices quickly: streetwear inspired fashion is still everywhere. It comes as no surprise that high-end brands want a piece of this growing market, considering the massive demand for streetwear.
But why is there such a demand for streetwear?
Streetwear lives off exclusivity. Streetwear brands do one thing very well and that is collaborating with other brands and making their collaborations as exclusive as possible. Brands like Supreme and A Bathing Ape are already brands that are super exclusive even without the launch of any collaborations. They sell only a very limited quantity of their products in-store and as you can imagine they do not have as many stores as Topshop or H&M do. Every Supreme collection sells out within hours (or minutes) and people are queuing up for days to secure one of their pieces. So what happens if a brand like Supreme collaborates with a brand like Louis Vuitton then? An overly-hyped collection that will be overpriced (bomber jackets for $2500 for example) and that will probably only be sold/given to people that have any influence in the fashion world (celebrities, fashionistas, collectors and people with money, a lot of money). So anyone thinking they can "cop" an item from the Supreme x Louis Vuitton collection, be prepared to pay an exorbitant amount of money when someone is reselling the products online.
Some additional thoughts on the super exclusive up-coming collection though: it might be an unpopular opinion but I do not like this collaboration at all. I think the whole collection is too 'street'. Louis Vuitton is a luxury fashion brand with a prestigious heritage and the pieces from this collection do not reflect the brand image of Louis Vuitton appropriately. As you can see in the picture above, a baseball bat with the print is set to be released and I just don't think that image of violence is an appropriate representation for a brand like Louis Vuitton. Furthermore, I think the use of the LV monogram is being a bit over-used, almost rubbing it in other people's faces. As an admirer of the luxury sector, I know that less is more and that people who actually have the spending power for similar items would prefer wearing more discreet clothes.
This collection reminds me of the people of the early 2000s that were obsessed with Louis Vuitton but couldn't afford to buy the real deal and got replicas instead. It is a bit of a reminder of the chav culture especially because of the bumbags and the caps that look like the imitation ones that used to be worn so heavily.
Although I am not very fond of the Supreme x Louis Vuitton collaboration, I loved the other outfits from Louis Vuitton's A/W 2017 collection and the selection of colours (warm brown shades). See below for some of my favourite looks:
Another collection I wanted to talk about is the Rick Owens A/W 2017 collection, I mean what the hell was going on there? Owens' collection made me think, are we not supposed to make clothes for people to wear them any more? I can't imagine anyone would have said to themselves "This looks like something I would love to wear" after seeing the fashion show. Anyway, I find it hard to describe what is going on with the models and the garments so see below for yourself:
It kind of reminds me of what I look like when I wake up confused in the middle of the night and I am tangled up in my duvet.
I experienced another "What the hell" moment when seeing Thom Browne's creations. Although it was clear from an artistic point of view that Browne wanted to deconstruct the dull grey suit and break the monotony of it, my first impression was still the same.
After all of this weirdness, find below some of my favourite looks from the month of January. Please leave your opinion on the Supreme x Louis Vuitton collaboration in the comments, I am curious to hear what everyone else thinks.
Ami's use of colours and smart/casual cuts (and their use of some female models to show that fashion has no real genders):
And Yohji Yamamoto's jacquard fabrics and the use of models from all ages made me include his creations in this post:
January is the month of menswear, at least when it comes to all of the Fashion Weeks from Milan to New York City. So, I thought it would only be appropriate to write a little re-cap on this month full of menswear fashion and add some thoughts of mine, pointing out my fashion favourites and my fashion flops.
After seeing the creations of some of the most influential designers in the world, there is one thing everyone notices quickly: streetwear inspired fashion is still everywhere. It comes as no surprise that high-end brands want a piece of this growing market, considering the massive demand for streetwear.
But why is there such a demand for streetwear?
Streetwear lives off exclusivity. Streetwear brands do one thing very well and that is collaborating with other brands and making their collaborations as exclusive as possible. Brands like Supreme and A Bathing Ape are already brands that are super exclusive even without the launch of any collaborations. They sell only a very limited quantity of their products in-store and as you can imagine they do not have as many stores as Topshop or H&M do. Every Supreme collection sells out within hours (or minutes) and people are queuing up for days to secure one of their pieces. So what happens if a brand like Supreme collaborates with a brand like Louis Vuitton then? An overly-hyped collection that will be overpriced (bomber jackets for $2500 for example) and that will probably only be sold/given to people that have any influence in the fashion world (celebrities, fashionistas, collectors and people with money, a lot of money). So anyone thinking they can "cop" an item from the Supreme x Louis Vuitton collection, be prepared to pay an exorbitant amount of money when someone is reselling the products online.
Some additional thoughts on the super exclusive up-coming collection though: it might be an unpopular opinion but I do not like this collaboration at all. I think the whole collection is too 'street'. Louis Vuitton is a luxury fashion brand with a prestigious heritage and the pieces from this collection do not reflect the brand image of Louis Vuitton appropriately. As you can see in the picture above, a baseball bat with the print is set to be released and I just don't think that image of violence is an appropriate representation for a brand like Louis Vuitton. Furthermore, I think the use of the LV monogram is being a bit over-used, almost rubbing it in other people's faces. As an admirer of the luxury sector, I know that less is more and that people who actually have the spending power for similar items would prefer wearing more discreet clothes.
This collection reminds me of the people of the early 2000s that were obsessed with Louis Vuitton but couldn't afford to buy the real deal and got replicas instead. It is a bit of a reminder of the chav culture especially because of the bumbags and the caps that look like the imitation ones that used to be worn so heavily.
Another collection I wanted to talk about is the Rick Owens A/W 2017 collection, I mean what the hell was going on there? Owens' collection made me think, are we not supposed to make clothes for people to wear them any more? I can't imagine anyone would have said to themselves "This looks like something I would love to wear" after seeing the fashion show. Anyway, I find it hard to describe what is going on with the models and the garments so see below for yourself:
I experienced another "What the hell" moment when seeing Thom Browne's creations. Although it was clear from an artistic point of view that Browne wanted to deconstruct the dull grey suit and break the monotony of it, my first impression was still the same.
Ami's use of colours and smart/casual cuts (and their use of some female models to show that fashion has no real genders):
Talk to you soon,
Anne xo











My favourite post of yours so far! Du hues mech zum Laache bruegt. Weiter so! Much love
ReplyDeleteaw thank you Erik, much love back to you xo
DeleteSome of the outfits are horrendous 😂
ReplyDelete