"Vakanz Doheem": 6 Tips for a Staycation in Luxembourg
Dear readers,
the pandemic has been going on for more than a year now and like many of you I have been staying at home for the greater part of 2020 (as you could maybe tell from the lack of posts on here lol) as well as for the first few months of 2021. And let me tell you, this sh*t gets BORING. After some time at home, there are just not that many cool new things left to do any more: I baked banana bread, I am all caught up on Netflix and Disney+, I invested hours and hours into my Switch games and I even started crafting (watch out for my Etsy... jk it's still a work in progress). But let's not forget we are doing this for a great cause, to protect our fellow citizens and the whole lockdown situation is surely benefitting the environment, too.
Enough with the small talk though and let's jump straight into my blog topic and the thing I've been missing the most since March 2020: TRAVEL. I used to travel quite frequently and loved hanging out in airports. Now the thought of an airport and the lack of personal space kind of scares me and I guess the pandemic is to blame for that. Let's face it: Covid has affected all of us in one way or the other. However, there is one thing the pandemic cannot take from us and that is our curiousity and our freedom to keep discovering.
But where to go when you can't go anywhere? I thought we all had to stay home? Sure, but staying home doesn't need to be boring and even a small country like Luxembourg has its gems. So instead of moping around, take a look at my favourite places and make sure to check them out next time you feel blue again.
1. Watch the sun set along the Moselle river valley
I am starting this list off with a personal favourite: the vineyards of the Moselle river valley. This valley has some amazing views and the best thing? There are many possible spots to set up a picnic and chances are high that no one else will be around.
Grab a loved one, fill your picnic basket with your favourite treats, drive along to find the perfect spot and enjoy the view.
Shoutout to my friend Pit (@back_pt) for introducing me to this gem.
2. Explore the Mullerthal and Beaufort castle
This might be an obvious one, but considering the beauty of this place, it is always worth mentioning. The waterfalls in Mullerthal are one of Luxembourg's most treasured sights and are surrounded by great forest hiking trails. The forests are a great place to cool down in the July and August summer heat but it is always worth going in winter when the waterfalls turn into ice crystals.
Another sight in close proximity to Mullerthal is Beaufort castle. This castle is not only surrounded by a large grass area where you can sit down and just soak up the sun but is also connected to some lovely walking trails. Make sure to visit when you're in the area.
3. Book a stay in a spa hotel
Little did I know about the amazing hotels we have here in Luxembourg before the lockdown started. There was never a need for a hotel since I spent all my holidays abroad.
But with travel being heavily restricted, I decided to check out two hotels in Luxembourg. Most importantly, I would like to mention the generosity of our government here. The Luxembourgish government gave every citizen a 50€ voucher to be spent on hotel stays which means me and my boyfriend had a total of 100€ that we were able to spend on a hotel.
We used this voucher on a 1-night stay in Hotel Leweck in Lipperscheid. We selected a superior room with halfboard which included an absolutely delicious 4-course meal!
The highlights of our stay were the beautiful pool area which consists of the most comfortable loungers and a heated outside pool where we watched the November sunset. And a special mention goes out to the bar! The cocktail menu in that bar is amazing and quite honestly, we never expected to find such an exquisite bar tucked away in the North of our country. We will definitely drive all the way back just to have another drink in that bar and you should, too!
The second hotel we went to is Chateau d'Urspelt. We chose this hotel for our Valentine's getaway because of the lovely package they created for that day. As we went during a partial lockdown, the package was tailored to the Covid restrictions. We had an amazing in-room dinner experience in which wine and champagne were included and the room was decorated with fake rose petals.
My special recommendation is to book one of their private spa rooms. This room is fitted with a hot tub and a steam bath and can be booked for 1h30 time slots. The package also includes a fruit platter and another bottle of champagne. If you want to treat your partner to something special, book this for the ultimate romantic experience.
4. Go for a swim in one of our lakes
With Luxembourg being a landlocked country, I always have a strange longing towards the seaside and I particularly missed swimming during this lockdown. One of Luxembourg's top swimming spots is the artificial "Lac de la Haute Sure" lake. Like many Luxembourgers, I have spent much time there but unfortunately this place can get quite crowded and is often closed due to blue algae.
That's why I decided to try a new place last summer and went to the lake in Weiswampach with a couple of friends. What I liked about this lake was that it was a lot livelier! There was live music and food stalls, and paddle boats for rent which really gave me that summer holiday feeling.
5. Do a pub crawl in Luxembourg's historic city centre
I know so many people who keep going to the same few places and I admit I am one of them. But Luxembourg has so much more to offer and with the re-opening of the terraces and the mild spring temperatures, why not step out of your comfort zone and visit bars and restaurants you haven't visited before?
A fun concept I learnt from my friends in the UK is "pub golf". All you need to do is dress up as golf players and visit either 9 or 18 different pubs - each pub symbolising a hole of a golf course. Since fancy dress is not as common in Luxembourg as it is in the UK, I'd suggest to drop the costume and just visit as many pubs as possible. Here is a list of my favourite bars that are all in close proximity to each other:
- The Tube Bar : an all vegan bar with super friendly staff (unbiased opinion), a seasonal cocktail menu and an extensive selection of craft beers.
- Octans: this cocktail bar is perfect for date night and the quality of their drinks is out of this world.
- Konrad: Konrad Café & Bar is probably the cosiest place in Luxembourg. Not only do they do great cocktails but they also serve amazing coffee and cake.
- Urban: Everyone knows Urban but I still included it in this list because whenever I went I had a fantastic time. I love the music they play on weekends and the G&Ts they serve.
- The Pyg: a friendly Irish pub with a small terrace next to the river. I still haven't been to one of their Karaoke nights but it has been on my bucket list for a long time.
- Bistro Le Duc: a little restaurant in Clausen, not only do they serve traditional Luxembourgish dishes but they also do after-work apéro sessions where they serve up any cocktail you could possibly imagine. Their cute backyard terrace was the first one I visited once terraces reopened this spring.
- Café littéraire Le Bovary: a hidden gem in Weimerskirch with a peaceful terrace and great food.
- Éirelux: An Irish Pub in Howald. This place has an amazing range of craft beers and the best fish & chips in Luxembourg.
- Vagabond Bar: a chill place in the main square in Dudelange with a cosy terrace and tasty cocktails.




Comments
Post a Comment