A look into my dissertation project
As most of you know I have recently graduated as an International Fashion Business student. In order to receive a Bachelor's degree, I had to hand in a dissertation. In this following post, I wanted to tell you about my dissertation project and show you my work.
For my dissertation, I decided to focus on how streetwear is currently used by the luxury sector and how this can be used to attract a specific demographic. In part one of my dissertation, I researched subcultures to understand the origin of streetwear and analysed to what extent subcultures were culturally appropriated by luxury brands. The question whether the streetwear subculture is dying came up as it is technically no longer a subculture but has crossed into the mainstream with collaborations like Supreme x Louis Vuitton making the news and high-street retailers selling streetwear inspired pieces. Do let me know if you agree or disagree with this statement in the comment section below.
What I concluded in that first part is that streetwear is nowadays completely natural to teens and twenty-something year olds and that luxury brands need to cater to this by somehow incorporating streetwear in their collections to stay on trend. That's why I looked into Fendi and how they can use streetwear to attract a younger consumer.
With Fendi being worn by celebrities such as the Kardashians and leading the logomania trend, it is the ideal brand to ride the hype wave and introduce streetwear now. I have used Fendi's iconic logo and added it to streetwear pieces. See below some of my designs for a Fendi streetwear collection.
If you are interested in reading my work on subcultures (Part 1) and on Fendi (Part 2), I have included the links to both PDF files below for you:



Comments
Post a Comment